Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Role of Swing Weight for Racquet

Default The Role of Swing Weight for Racquet

Source:
    http://tennis.about.com/library/blswingweight.htm

Definition:
    Swing weight describes how heavy a racquet feels when it is swung.
    Swing weight increases as the racquet's weight is distributed more toward the head, so head-heavy and extra-long racquets have a high swing weight in relation to their stationary weight.

Revision from Master Sifuyono :

Swing weight determine how fast your swing through normal hitting motion (frame facing upfront/ forward) such an attacking lob, smashing, dropshot,

maneuver determine how agile the racket to perform any swing action, such a defensive shot, net swinging or blocking

and one more, they forgot to put these as a major judgement:
    - frame design and size
    - shaft diameter

determine swing weight by weight and balance point, is very old ....... today every racquet maker focusing on better frame design to cut air resistance, resulting in faster swing

Source:
    http://www.sportscomet.com/Tennis/219515.htm

Swing weight is the measure of how heavy a racquet feels when you swing it.

There are 2 major things and 1 minor thing to take into consideration when talking about swing weight.

The majors are (A) the actual racquet's weight, and (B) the racquet's balance.
    The minor is the racquet's length.

The rule of the thumb is heavier racquets have a higher swing weight or in other words there is more weight that you're transferring through the racquet and into the ball when you swing.

Generally head-heavy racquets have a higher swing weight than head light racquets, but my suggestion is lean towards head light. The head light do less injury prone to your body and if you don't like how it feels, you may opt to use lead tape.

The longer a racquet the more weight behind it, and vice versa, the shorter a racquet the less weight behind it.

Focusing more on the racquet's weight and balance. The harder you hit the ball, a heavier racquet will be more solid and stable. While, a lighter racquet will give you more head speed if you have a slower swing.

Note that a heavier racket requires more energy to get the head around the ball, while a lighter racket will need less energy.

Source:
    http://shuttle-house.com/new-cgi/ite...GOSEN&hid=GM31

Badminton Swing Weight Measurement Machine

Last edited by Sulistyomo; 31 Oct 2011 at 07:07.

Source:
    http://www.at700.com/SwingWeight/

Yonex Swing Weight - Research Data

update 3rd March 2012 - Carbonex 50 & Voltric Z-Force
    Last edited by Sulistyomo; 04 Mar 2012 at 22:49.

nice info

Interesting to know that the new nanoray 4U models have a low swing weight, just perfect for my injury prone wrist. Well, now who has those racquets? Would love to test them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sulistyomo View Post
    Source:

Definition:
    Swing weight increases as the racquet's weight is distributed more toward the head, so head-heavy and extra-long racquets have a high swing weight in relation to their stationary weight.
    A higher swing weight results in low maneuverability, but generally more power output.

Source:

There are 2 major things and 1 minor thing to take into consideration when talking about swing weight.

The rule of the thumb is heavier racquets have a higher swing weight or in other words there is more weight that you're transferring through the racquet and into the ball when you swing.

Generally head-heavy racquets have a higher swing weight than head light racquets, but my suggestion is lean towards head light. The head light do less injury prone to your body and if you don't like how it feels, you may opt to use lead tape.

The longer a racquet the more weight behind it, and vice versa, the shorter a racquet the less weight behind it.

Focusing more on the racquet's weight and balance. The harder you hit the ball, a heavier racquet will be more solid and stable. While, a lighter racquet will give you more head speed if you have a slower swing.

Note that a heavier racket requires more energy to get the head around the ball, while a lighter racket will need less energy.

Source:

i dont agree with such a statement (red bold one)

swing weight determine how fast your swing through normal hitting motion (frame facing upfront/ forward) such an attacking lob, smashing, dropshot,

maneuver determine how agile the racket to perform any swing action, such a defensive shot, net swinging or blocking

- frame design and size
    - shaft diameter

determine swing weight by weight and balance point, is very old ....... today every racquet maker focusing on better frame design to cut air resistance, resulting in faster swing

so, imho, high swing weight doesn't necessary means slow swing speed
    Last edited by sifuyono; 30 Oct 2011 at 16:34.
    Peraturan FTB dan Netiket <== Wajib dibaca
    Posting bermasalah lapor disini <== Jgn terpancing emosi, laporkan postingan bermasalah di sini
    Kritik & Saran <== Tulis Kritik & Saran disini, kritik/saran diluar tempatnya akan kita hapus

Quote Originally Posted by sifuyono View Post
    i dont agree with such a statement (red bold one)

swing weight determine how fast your swing through normal hitting motion (frame facing upfront/ forward) such an attacking lob, smashing, dropshot,

- frame design and size
    - shaft diameter

so, imho, high swing weight doesn't necessary means slow swing speed

O Suhu Sifuyono

Thank you very much for sharing your vast knowledge and experiences.

Since I failed to find sufficient information concerning swing weight from any badminton's website, the aforementioned definition was retrieved from a tennis website.

Perhaps this would be one of the differences between the construction of a tennis racquet with a badminton racquet.
    Last edited by Sulistyomo; 31 Oct 2011 at 07:09.

I'm quite amazed with the old color AT700 4U, with such low racket weight, it can produces high swing weight, better ratio than the other armortec family.

guys, badminton is not tennis and tennis is not badminton ...
    you can not blatantly put any information on tennis and apply it on badminton.
    the impact on tennis ball is bigger than shuttlecock.

Quote Originally Posted by sotx-sg View Post
    guys, badminton is not tennis and tennis is not badminton ...
    you can not blatantly put any information on tennis and apply it on badminton.
    the impact on tennis ball is bigger than shuttlecock.
    yes, badminton is not tennis and vice versa, but i think the swing weight concept is more or less similiar and it is a good starting point to start a healthy discussion

and the info on YY (plus Mizuno on the original site) swing weight is really nice
    Salam tepok bulu!

Peraturan Umum FTB dan Netiket FTB - mari turut serta menjaga agar FTB menjadi tempat diskusi yang nyaman.
    Thread kritik & saran khusus untuk mod/admin - postingan diluar thread ini akan dihapus.
    Thread laporan post bermasalah
    - jangan terpancing emosi, biarkan mod & admin yang menyelesaikan.

i need victor swing weight data!!
    Posting bermasalah lapor disini <== Jgn terpancing emosi, laporkan postingan bermasalah di sini
    Kritik & Saran <== Tulis Kritik & Saran disini, kritik/saran diluar tempatnya akan kita hapus

that measurement device surely reminds me of a DJ turntable... it tickles me that such a device would even be created in the first place... japs...

I like light weight rackets

Quote Originally Posted by gendruw View Post
    yes, badminton is not tennis and vice versa, but i think the swing weight concept is more or less similiar and it is a good starting point to start a healthy discussion
    and the info on YY (plus Mizuno on the original site) swing weight is really nice
    share the link please .... coz I never saw any info on SW on the famous racket .. or maybe I miss it.

why the thread-starter changed his original post after got input from Sifuyono ?
    Is he afraid of ?

as per Sifuyono post as well ... swing weight is an old method.

share the link please .... coz I never saw any info on SW on the famous racket .. or maybe I miss it.

why the thread-starter changed his original post after got input from Sifuyono ?
    Is he afraid of ?

go to the link provided above, then scroll to the bottom
    Salam tepok bulu!

Peraturan Umum FTB dan Netiket FTB - mari turut serta menjaga agar FTB menjadi tempat diskusi yang nyaman.
    Thread kritik & saran khusus untuk mod/admin - postingan diluar thread ini akan dihapus.
    Thread laporan post bermasalah
    - jangan terpancing emosi, biarkan mod & admin yang menyelesaikan.

Quote Originally Posted by gendruw View Post
    go to the link provided above, then scroll to the bottom
    thanks for the link, but I believe it is not from official vendor.

from the chart above, the arc10 has swing weight lower than arc700 and vt80 (too bad no at250 ), but i can't manuver with arc10.
    i can defense quite good with at250, at700 and vt800, but NOT with arc10.
    so in my opnion, even swing weight is lower, but bigger stringbed create more air drag, so it would reduce the manuverability of a racquet.
    so maybe, just maybe, as per chart above (i believe those are measured with no string) will change if a string was installed. even they are using the same type of string.
    just my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Sulistyomo View Post
    Source:

Definition:

Revision from Master Sifuyono :

Swing weight determine how fast your swing through normal hitting motion (frame facing upfront/ forward) such an attacking lob, smashing, dropshot,

- frame design and size
    - shaft diameter

Source:

Source:

i dont have any right to revise anything
    it is just my personal opinion, maybe right but maybe wrong... so i state CMIIW
    Last edited by sifuyono; 01 Nov 2011 at 23:43.

Is he afraid of ?

Hehehehehehehe.....

I don't personally think I have to be afraid of anyone or anything concerning my post, insofar that it doesn't offend any other member in this forum.

I do realize that the basic conception of swing weight from a tennis racquet would be completely different with badminton racquet. It is quite unfortunate that there is not much information available concerning swing weight for badminton racquet.

Since Master Sifuyono is well-known for his personal knowledge and experiences in badminton, I trust his opinion concerning swing weight.

Thus I revised the original posting by inserting his opinion to my thread, with the sole intention that such post shall not cause misunderstanding to its reader(s) in the future.

I just hoped that all of such information might be useful for any other member of tepokbulu as additional information to determine his/her racquet.

thanks for the link, but I believe it is not from official vendor.

These data (A) are not official data released by racquet's manufacturer, and (B) are based from private test conducted by forum's member(s) at www.at700.com.

Quote Originally Posted by sifuyono View Post
    i need victor swing weight data!!
    Yeay ... me too....

i feel better with the slim frame... head heavy.. it was quite powerfull and easy handling..